Stan advises and counsels his clients in the areas of business law, environmental law, employment law, and personal injury litigation. He litigates civil cases in arbitration as well as in state and federal courts. These cases typically involve business contracts, employment issues, wrongful death, personal injuries, product liability issues, environmental or toxic tort disputes. Stan is also a NC Dispute Resolution Certified Mediator to conduct mediations in North Carolina Superior Court.
His recent experience includes:
- Litigating breach of contract disputes and other general civil litigation, including Employment and Business Law;
- Litigating wrongful death and personal injury actions, including those arising from exposure to toxic agents, motor vehicle, tractor-trailer and heavy machinery accidents;
- Litigating property damage claims arising from contamination (PCBs, solvents, gasoline, metals and other toxic materials) and pesticide/fertilizer crop damage claims; and
- Litigating permits/civil penalties and counseling with environmental laws in various states.
Stan has been designated by his peers as one of the BEST LAWYERS IN AMERICA® since 2011, a Super Lawyer “Rising Star” 2007 through 2010, and North Carolina’s Legal Elite since 2011. He has also been inducted as a Fellow, Litigation Counsel of America, an invitation only trial lawyer honorary society comprised of less than one-half of one percent of American lawyers. Most recently, he was elected to serve on the Council for the Environmental, Energy and Natural Resources Section of the North Carolina Bar Association.
- North Carolina, 1998
- All U.S. District Courts of North Carolina
- U.S. Court of Appeals 4th Circuit
- U.S. District Court District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Georgia
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Kentucky
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Michigan
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Pennsylvania
J.D. and Masters of Studies, Environmental Law
- Magna Cum Laude
Vermont Law School, South Royalton, Vermont, 1998
- Philosophy and English Major
University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC, 1993 B.A.
- Pretrial Considerations in Construction Litigation, presented September 2016 North Carolina Bar Association Construction Law CLE
- Global Warming Litigation: Cooling Down or Heating up in the Private Sector, DRI, Toxic Torts and Environmental Law Committee Newsletter, Winter, 2006
- Critical Failures of Proof and Theory in MTBE Litigation, National Groundwater Association, Groundwater and Environmental Law Conference, July, 2005
- Science Issues In Mold Litigation, ABA Section of Environment, Energy & Resources, Special Committee on Science & Technology Newsletter, December, 2002
Past Employment Positions
- Hon. Joseph R. John, Sr., North Carolina Court of Appeals, Raleigh, NC, Judicial Clerk, 1998 – 1999
- Womble Carlyle Sandridge & Rice, Associate, 1999 – 2006
- Womble Carlyle Sandridge & Rice, Member, 2007 – 2009