Commercial trucks are the largest vehicles on the road and can cause catastrophic injury or death if involved in an accident. At Strauch Green & Mistretta, P.C., our expert team of personal injury lawyers in Raleigh and Winston-Salem have the experience and knowledge to handle complicated claims resulting from commercial truck accidents.
What is a Catastrophic Accident?
A truck accident is catastrophic when the injuries are severe enough to require serious medical procedures and long-term/life-long treatment. Catastrophic injuries inhibit daily life, are financially draining, are physically painful, and cause emotional turmoil for the victim and the victim’s family. If you experience a catastrophic injury as the result of a collision, it’s imperative to seek a truck accident lawyer immediately.
Common Truck Accident Injuries
Trucks are large, heavy vehicles that can cause extreme damage, especially at high speeds. Common injuries that stem from truck accidents include:
- Traumatic Brain Injury – Blunt force to the head can destroy brain tissue and can seriously affect cognitive and motor functions.
- Spinal Cord Injury – If a victim is crushed in an accident, they are likely to endure a spinal cord injury that could leave them paralyzed.
- Amputation – The loss of a leg or arm due to a truck accident could lead to serious limitations on a victim’s life and livelihood.
Other injuries may include internal organ damage, burns and disfigurement. It’s important to consider the long-term effects of these injuries if you or a loved one are involved in a truck accident. A truck accident lawyer will help you determine what will be required and ensure that you are compensated by the responsible party.
Common Causes of Truck Accidents Requiring a Lawyer
According to the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration, the most common reason for a truck accident is truck driver-related. In many cases the driver fell asleep or was otherwise incapacitated or inattentive. Other causes include:
- Poor Vehicle Maintenance – Trucks are on the road for thousands of miles, often carrying heavy loads. If not properly maintained, they are subject to brake failure, tire blowouts, and other mechanical problems that cause catastrophic accidents.
- Improper Loading – If a truck’s cargo is not loaded or properly secured, it can come loose and cause accidents.
- Poor Weather Conditions – If a truck driver is not adequately prepared for extreme weather conditions, such as snow or rain, accidents are more likely to occur.
Let Our Truck Accident Lawyers Get You The Compensation You Deserve
If you or a loved one has been injured or killed in a truck accident, we understand how difficult it is. We also understand that you deserve compensation and fight to get what is rightfully yours. Schedule your consultation with one of our attorneys by filling out our contact form or calling our Raleigh office at (919) 278-7453 or our Winston-Salem office at (336) 725-8688. We proudly serve clients across North Carolina.